The Nass Mubarak by al-Dai Mansur al-Yemen (tus) upon al-Mola Aqeeq al-Yemen (tus)
On the 3rd of Rajabul Asab 1432H Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (tus) made his first open proclamation of nass (conferral of succession) upon his second son, Shahzada, Syedna Aali Qadr Mufaddal Saifuddin (tus) whilst in hospital in London. It was a historic and momentous event, which has taken place during the historic and momentous year of Huzurala’s (tus) 100th Milaad.
On the 19th of Ramadhan al-Moazzam this event was chronicled in a mithaal shareef released by the administrative office of the Dawat – Al-Wazaratus Saifiyah – entitled ‘Barakato Bayaan-e-Fadhlin Kabeer.’ In this document of some 40 pages is described the significance of nass, examples of nass conferral throughout history and some of the peerless virtues of Syedna Mufaddal Saifuddin (tus) that show him to be the rightful recipient of the nass of Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (tus).
What follows here are renditions of some of the articles of this document.
‘Allah is more aware of where to place His message.’
In the Quran-e-majeed Allah says to Rasulallah (sa) that He has decreed for him ‘fateh mubeen’ – the clear victory and this ‘fateh mubeen’ is in fact the conferral of nass by the predecessor upon his heir in every age and time.
Thus we see that the nass has taken place in every era, first from Rasulallah (sa) upon Molana Ali (as), then from Molana Ali (as) to Imam Hasan (as), then from each Imam to the next Imam and then in the age of the seclusion of the Imam the nass has been conferred from each Dai al-Mutlaq to the next Dai al-Mutlaq.
The Du’aat Kiraam have been bound upon this oath that none of them will pass on except that he will have conferred nass upon a successor who is his equal; to whom he will entrust the rank of Itlaaq.
This the Du’aat Kiraam have unfailingly carried out since the first Dai Syedna Zoeb (ra) until the 51st incumbent, Syedna Taher Saifuddin (ra) who conferred nass upon his successor Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (tus) in Rajab al Asab of 1352H.
Within the tenets of the faith the status of the mansus alayhe (recipient of the nass) is supreme since he is of equal standing and virtue as the incumbent Dai himself.
This tenet is elucidated by Syedna Ibrahim Wajihuddin (ra) in a letter that he writes to his followers in the Yemen in which he lauds the peerless merits of his successor Syedna Hebatullah al-Moayyad fi-Deen (ra).
“He by whose pure tribute every congregation and assembly wafts with fragrance, whose noble report has been carried forward by voyagers and cavalry and whose supremacy of virtue has been attested to by every clan.”
It is for the incumbent Dai to know who is the fit and rightful recipient of the nass within his followers, who it is that is able to gather together the imamiyah virtues and who it is that is the rightful heir. He sees this both outwardly and inwardly by virtue of divine guidance and then confers the nass upon his mansus which he then proclaims and explains to the people.
The proclaimed nass upon Syedi Mufaddal Mola (tus) has been preceded by many instances of nass –e-khafi (undisclosed nass) found since the time of Syedna Taher Saifuddin (ra).
Amongst them are the following:
- Syedi Mufaddal Mola (tus) is born during Laylatul Qadr of 1365H and when giving a name for the newborn Syedna al-Muqaddas (ra) writes: “Aali Qadr Mufaddal” the numeric value of which comes to 1365.
- Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (tus) confers upon him the ‘laqab’ (epithet) of ‘Saifuddin,’ which is also the laqab of Syedna Abdeali Saifuddin (ra) and Syedna Taher Saifuddin (ra).
- Syedi Mufaddal Mola (tus) is a descendant of Imam J’afar al-Sadiq (as), Syedi Fakhruddin al-Shaheed, Syedna Qutbuddin al-Shaheed (ra) and Syedi Abdulqadir Hakimuddin (ra).
- In 1391H his father, Mansur al-Yemen conferred upon him the title, ‘Aqeeq al-Yemen’ following his historic visit to the Yemen in 1391H.
- In the process of preparing Al-Jame al-Anwar for restoration Syedi Mufaddal Mola (tus) undertook the clean up of the masjid. As work was going on a stench was found to be coming from the vicinity of the mehraab. After investigation it was discovered that behind the mehraab were living 40 families and all of their refuse and sewage had been accumulated in a hole they had dug there. The stench was so disgusting that it was barely possible to stand there and no labourers could be found who were prepared to clean it out. Syedi Mufaddal Mola (tus) exclaimed “I will go down and clean it, the mehraab in this state, we have been negligent for so long, it is a very grave sin of ours!” Barely had he expressed this intention and men came forth to carry out the work, the hole measuring some 2-3 metres deep was cleaned out and bukhur was lit in its place.
- The very first time that Syedi Mufaddal Mola (tus) went to conduct Ashara Mubaraka was in Indore and he was seen off at the station by the ranking officials of the Dawat (Huduud Kiraam).
- Similarly, after his appointment as Ameer al-Hajj, upon returning he was received at the airport by Huzurala (tus) himself.
- In 1411H Huzurala (tus), having declared Dar al-Salaam as the venue for Ashara Mubaraka, took ill in Mumbai. For the first 3 days of that Ashara Huzurala (tus) remained in Mumbai and delegated the duty of delivering waaz to Syedi Mufaddal Mola (tus).
- Syedi Mufaddal Mola’s (tus) endeavours are to be found at the heart of the flowering of hifzul Quran, the maatam of Imam Husain (as) in the aftermath of waaz and exponential giving of zakaat plus the restoration and regeneration of the holy places of Al-Qahera, Shaam, Yemen, Iraq, Jordan, Palestine, Makkah Mukarramah, Madinah Munawwarah and Hindustaan.
- In the same way that Syedna Taher Saifuddin (ra) was accompanied on all of of his travels by his son and heir Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (tus) so too has Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (tus) been accompanied by Syedi Mufaddal Mola (tus) and he would be delegated to visit the residences and businesses of Mumineen for ‘qadam’ which is the tradition of the Du’aat by which blessings are proffered upon Mumineen and their families and livelihoods.
- Amongst the many Rasaail Shareefah of Syedna Taher Saifuddin (ra) is that entitled, ‘Bahro Fadhlin Kabeer’ which was written in the year that he conferred nass upon Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (tus). In its opening lines are the words, “Wa amarahu ann yubashshiral Mumineena bi anna lahum minAllahe fadhlan kabeera.”
- Huzurala (tus) wrote the following aayat and bequeathed it to Syedi Mufaddal Mola (tus) “Bismillah il-rahman il-raheem, Qull innal fadhla biyadillahe, youteehe man yashaao wallaho dhul fadhlil azeem.” (Say [O’ Mohammed], bestowal is in the hand of Allah, He bequeaths it to whomsoever He desires and Allah is He of immeasurable bequest.)
Following these many examples of the covert nass the time finally arrived, in this year of the centennial milaad, for the open proclamation of nass – the nass-e-jali.
Huzurala (tus) had been admitted to hospital in London and on Saturday the 3rd of Rajab al-Asab Molana (tus) beckoned those who were present from amongst saadaat kiraam.
To these 6 sahebs; Shahzada Aali Waqaar Shahzada Idris bhaisaheb (dm), Shahzada Aali Waqaar Shahzada Qusai bhaisaheb (dm), Shahzada Aali Waqaar Shahzada Ammar bhaisaheb (dm), Shahzadi Husaina baisaheb (dm), Al-Farqad al-Azhar Dr Moiz bhaisaheb and Al-Farqad al-Azhar Abdulqadir bhaisaheb Molana (tus) said after Aouzo billah and Bismillah, that he was elevating ‘Mufaddal bhai’ to the office of Dawat. He asked them if they had heard him and then instructed that this should be informed to all.
The conferral of nass upon Syedi Mufaddal Mola (tus) on the eve of the Urs Mubarak of Syedna Nur-Mohammed Nuruddin (ra) is symbolic in itself.
On the day Syedna Nuruddin (ra) was born his revered grandfather Syedna Ismail Badruddin (ra) stated that the one who will sit in my seat has arrived, the one who is chosen for the office of itlaaq.
The news of this historic event was conveyed to the Mumin world by Huzurala’s (tus) eldest Shahzada, Al-Azad al-Qawi Shahzada Aali Waqaar Shahzada Al-Qaidjohar bhaisaheb Ezzuddin (dm) in an address on the day of Urs in London’s Al-Masjid al-Husaini. In this address Shahzada Aali Waqaar described the chain of events that took place the night before and the atmosphere of celebration that surrounded them. He eloquently extolled the supreme virtues of Syedi Mufaddal Mola (tus) in a speech of exemplary humility (excerpts of which it is hoped will be rendered at a later date).
Later that month, as has been shown to Mumineen all around the world, Huzurala (tus) chose the occasion of the Urs of Syedna Taher Saifuddin (ra) and the sacred site of Raudhat Tahera to proclaim the nass openly in front of an audience of thousands. The images of that evening are imprinted upon the memory of every Mumin and have been described in detail in the mithaal shareef. (See photo above)
The obedience to the mansoos is as to the naas – it is absolute, the obedience of the one being that of the other and likewise disobedience to one being as if to the other. The conferral of nass is the Dai’s seal upon the knowledge, deed, inscrutable character and every facet of the being of the mansoos Syedi Mufaddal Mola (tus). The mansoos is the ‘amal saaleh’ of the Dai; acknowledgement of whom is to authenticate one’s good deeds and not to do so is to invalidate all of one’s good deeds.
May Allah t’aala grant our Mola, Syedna Mohammed Burhanuddin (tus) long life and good health until Qiyamat and our Mola, Syedi Mufaddal bhaisaheb (tus) long life and good health in the cooling shade of Syedna Burhanuddin (tus) until Qiyamat.
(Also see: Nass-e-Jali 1432H part II: Raudat Tahera)